Premium Edge Pet Food

Possible Dog Poisonings in Colorado

In Summit County, Colorado, something has caused 13 dogs to recently become very ill with signs of a neurotoxin (toxin that affects the nervous system). Local vets are unsure what is causing the symptoms, which include stumbling, drooling, seizures, tremors, disorientation and other neurologic signs. Two dogs have died even with treatment. Vets suspect that the poisonings are from exposure to some sort of plant such as a toxic mushroom or lupine. All of the affected dogs had been hiking with their owners or had recently escaped from their yards or had unsupervised time outdoors.

Even though many of us say we watch our pets “all the time”, it is easy for a dog or cat to ingest something quickly. There are many toxic plants that grow seasonally and often a very tiny amount can cause serious symptoms. Blue-green algae is a type of algae that grows in ponds and there have been a number of cases of poisoning of pets that have taken a drink from a pond that has this algae growing.┬áThe algae causes digestive symptoms, followed by liver failure.

Take extra care when traveling with your pet or spending time outdoors.

This section features current events in the veterinary world and information about pet care that is timely – such as holiday hazards around the holidays or dental care during the month of February. If you would like to see a particular topic, please use our contact form and choose ‘General Feedback, Other’.

Thanks for reading!
Veterinary Technical Services Department

© 2017 Premium Edge Pet Food. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy
Site by Woodruff Sweitzer.